Ogun 2021 Appropriation Bill of N339bn Scales Second Reading - EDU-BIZNEWS


Friday, December 4, 2020

Ogun 2021 Appropriation Bill of N339bn Scales Second Reading


Ogun State House of Assembly has begun consideration of the State's 2021 Appropriation Bill of N339billion, as it scaled through second reading, barely 24 hours after the presentation of the budget estimate by Governor Dapo Abiodun.

The governor  had last Wednesday presented the budget proposal christened "Budget of Recovery and Sustainability" which comprises of N177 billion capital vote and N162billion recurrent expenditure to the house for consideration and approval.

 The Appropriation bill scaled through second reading after the lawmakers began a robust debate on the desirability of the bill during its plenary on Thursday presided over by the Speaker, Right Honourable Olakunle Oluomo, at the Assembly Complex, Oke-Mosan, Abeokuta.

The members at the plenary  renewed their assurance of sustaining the 'January-December budget cycle '  while promising the residents of the State of their committment to ensure strict   implementation of the budget in all sectors of the State economy. 

The lawmakers in their seperate   contributions during the debate, unanimously supported the bill shortly after the motion for its second reading was moved by the Majority Leader, Yusuf Sheriff, seconded by the Chief Whip, Atinuke Bello and supported by the Whole House, through a voice vote.

 Members including Olakunle Sobunkanla, Ganiyu Oyedeji, Modupe Mujota, Damilola Soneye and Abdul Bashir Oladunjoye, stressed the need  for the immediate consideration of the bill by the house,to ensure best global legislative practices to improve the State economy, following the adverse effect of the global pandemic on the economy.

They commended the allocation of 48 percent to recurrent expenses and the remaining 52 per cent  of the budget to capital expenditure meant to complete all existing projects and the implementation of new ones across the State.

Other members,Atinuke Bello, Adegoke Adeyanju, Adams Isaac, Abayomi Fasuwa and Yusuf Sheriff, expressed optimism that the effective implementation of the budget proposal was capable of turning-around all sectors of the State economy, especially health, education, social security and youth empowermen as well as infrastructural development

According to them, strict implementation of  the budget will ensure  a robust economy.

They canvassed for  the support of their colleagues to ensure the timely passage of the bill.

Speaker of the house, Olakunle Oluomo, while responding, commended his colleagues for their robust contributions towards  ensuring an all-inclusive bill for the socio-economic advancements of the State.

He added that the 9th Assembly would continue to collaborate with the executive arm towards ensuring the sustainability of January-December budget cycle. 

Oluomo thereafter committed the bill to the House Committee on Finance and Appropriation for further legislative actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment